The Museum of Homeopathy– Italian Historical Archives, is the outcome of a project by Antonio Negro (1908 -2010), thanks to whom modern homeopathy became known in Italy.
Inaugurated in Rome on June 17th, 2013, the museum plans to exhibit the history of homeopathy from its beginnings to modern times, through the acquisition, collection and preservation of documents and publications in order to provide a cultural contribution to its further development. To achieve these objectives, the museum will also sponsor events and publishing initiatives.
The museum is situated in Piazza Navona 49, where the Italian Academy of Homeopathic Medicine (AIMO), founded by Antonio Negro in 1953, carried out its work for forty years. This is a “historical” location for modern Italian homeopathy. Covering 110 square metres, the museum has been totally restored and is now equipped with audio-visual and IT systems, including Wi-Fi. If necessary, the reading room can seat 40 people.
The museum preserves material of significant historical importance, including private archives acquired through donations or entrustments (the Pompilj Archive, the Tosi Archive, the Gagliardi Archive, the Galatzer Archives and the Negro Archive), as wells as documents and memorabilia , the “Trousse & Case ” Collection with over one hundred exhibits from the 19th and early 20th centuries, the “Philately and Homeopathy”Collection and the “Numismatic and Homeopathy” Collection.
The museum’s Homeopathic Library (over 5,000 books and magazines), includes an important collection of texts on homeopathy (in Italian, German, French, English and Spanish). The Hahnemannian section is of particular significance with rare first editions, as is the Antique Italian section with books and pamphlets published in Italy in the 19th century and the subject of a monograph curated and updated by the museum (A. Negro- F.E. Negro: Bibliografia Omeopatica Italiana, Franco Angeli Ed. Roma, 2007).
Due to historical interest, on October 15th, 2007, the Ministry for Cultural Heritage notified the “Negro Foundation for Homeopathy”, which manages the museum, about all legal obligations as established by Legislative Decree 42/204.
The Region of Lazio has added this museum to its list of Museums (Case Museo) in the region.